So I haven't had a second to post anything, between running around with the girls and homework (normal stuff). However, the past few days have been dominated with hermit crab drama. As you know my youngest took right to a hermit crab named "Pinky" given by a friend of mine, whose name I wont say but I assure you I am thinking mean things about...LOL.
As I mentioned previously Pinky couldn't live alone so we bought a second hermit crab and named him "Brain". Brain was purchased on 8/31/12, he was significantly smaller than Pinky but the two seemed to get along just fine. So I was a little concerned to find that Pinky had completely buried him in sand on Tuesday, no big deal I thought, they dig in nature so he should be able to get himself out, but just to be on the safe side I unburied him. I thought that was the end of it.... boy was I wrong. I check on the pair last night and found Pinky to be in good spirits, Brain however was limp and rather lifeless... just as I was ready to call time of death however he twitched.
I turned to my old reliable friend Google and came to the conclusion he must be molting and that's why he appeared limp.... wrong. My husband came home a short while later and checked on the pair... and when he picked up Brain's shell a lifeless body came falling out of it. Luckily for us all of my children were sleep. Neither my husband or myself is good with handling dead things... so the very first task was the arguing of who was going to remove the dead thing from the tank so Pinky being the scavenger he is wouldn't eat it. I lost that argument and ended up scooping it out with a plastic spoon (plastic so it could immediately be thrown away LOL).
So today I informed my youngest who stays home with me that I had taken Pinky to the petstore for a new shell and we would be picking him up today. She was naturally excited about a trip to the petstore and didnt give my lie a second thought. I take her to Petsmart and we pick up Brain 2.0, I ask her if she like Brains new shell she tells me she loves it Yay Mommy right? Wrong... I noticed that when Brain 2.0 was put in the little cup to go home they didnt put anything in with it, this struck me as odd because the original Brain had been sent home in a wet paper towel, but the guy assured me that the paper towel really wasn't necessary. I picked up Brain 2.0 at 1:30 then immediately went to go get the other girls from school.
I typically arrive at the girls school roughly 30 minutes before they are dismissed so I can take my youngest to the playground. Now ideally I would have had time to drop Brain 2.0 off at home, but because this mornings doctors appointment ran long I was pressed for time. So I decided to switch Brain 2.0 to a shoe box that happened to be in my car (don't ask me why there was an empty shoe box in my car because I really don't know) and take him to the playground with us. Now hermit crabs need to have constant humidity between 70% and 80%, well it happened to be preparing to thunderstorm so the conditions were certainly ideal. I picked up the girls as usual and headed to drop something off at my mothers which was on my way home, within blocks of my house I hear a clicking noise and automatically assume there is something wrong with my car. So I reach to turn the radio off and I happen to notice that something is in the container with Brain 2.0. That something turned out to be 3 of his 6 legs... smh his official time of death 3:13pm... not even two whole hours.
So now I am in the car with all of my children, my youngest has already told them a riveting story of how Mommy took Brain to the petstore and got him a new shell so they are all expecting this big reveal and I am literally less than 5 minutes from my house. So I did the only thing I knew to do, turned towards the petstore and announced "Oh no, Brain broke his shell again!". Thinking to myself this hermit crab is worth roughly $5, a gallon of gas is almost $4 and I know I have used more than a gallon of gas, my gas is more valuable than this hermit crab. However as my mother put it, some things are priceless... and my children's happiness is definitely one of them.
I arrive back to the petstore, and of course all the same people are on duty and remember me and now I have to start the task of having a conversation about replacing my dead hermit crab in front of my nosy children who are quite smart. Luckily the lady at Petsmart was an excellent actress and caught on quickly.
I am finally back home with Brain 3.0 and you would think that was the end of my day, because Lord knows that was more than enough excitement.... that would be too like right I suppose. So I placing Brain 3.0 in the tank with Pinky, they are much closer in size and since I have the tank open I start tiding it up a bit while waiting to see if the two will fight or anything else random they may do. With me standing just steps away Tiana my 5 year old takes the glass lid for the tank, and decides to stand on it. Smh, it shattered naturally. So now I need yet another trip to the petstore because I cant regulate the humidity in the tank without a lid... but this time I said "That's it and that's all... twice in one day is my limit". I am hoping I can regulate their humidity without it until I get a moment to go back, otherwise I can legitimately walk away saying I tried.
No comments:
Post a Comment